Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Dying at Grace

Dying at Grace.

You never forget the sound.
There is a documentary I watched last night entitled "Dying at Grace". It follows the end of life of five terminal patients in a Hospice facility.
I know it sounds a bit morbid and I almost changed the channel as I thought it too difficult to watch but I stayed with it.
You never forget the sound of a person dying. The breathing. Not until you are with someone who’s body is struggling, fighting to stay, will you understand that sound. It’s a rattle….and the open mouth gasping…that get farther and farther apart. It’s the eyes. They don’t close. They are half open staring, no blinking.
What was difficult was the woman that chose to die alone. Die alone with a cameraman and a sound technician the only people with her.
I watched all five die, some surrounded by loved ones helping them to go. It was respectful and caring and truthful.
Yes, it reminded me.
You just cannot forget the sound.

No comments: