Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Reading and the smell of a good book

I have been using my Kindle so much lately to read that I forgot the joy of pulling out an old book with leather binding and putting my nose in it and pulling all of that old book smell out.


For some reason one of my favorite times to read is when it is raining. Perhaps it is because that is what we did as children when we couldn't go outside. We read.

I remember I was reading a very good Nancy Drew Mystery and had to go to school but that afternoon it had turned stormy and we I got home I went into my bedroom, sat in my white bean-bag chair and started reading Nancy. My mother brought in some freshly popped popcorn and I got to sit in there and read until it was time for dinner. I still remember the rain on my windows and how cozy I was. I think my Beagle, Suzie, was in there with me, crashed on the bed.

The thought of going into a room lined with old and new books with a glass of bourbon or wine, curling up with a book, and losing myself for several hours sounds wonderful.

No comments: